Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 20 - Stevia - a Healthy Sweetner

Stevia is a natural sweetener and I just so happen to have a Stevia plant, so I decided to save a few branches to make some Stevia powder. This is what's left of my plant. It grew beautifully this summer and was quite full.

I cut a few branches and hung them to dry. Once they were thoroughly dried out, I put them into my coffee grinder and blended the leaves to powder. I forgot to take a photo of the dried out branches, so I stopped grinding long enough to take a picture with a leave still intact. lol.

I wish I would have thought of this at the beginning of the summer as I would have a lot more, but this is what two branches of a Stevia plant produced. But this is sufficient to get me through the winter and spring because you don't need much at all. A dash will do ya! lol.

Stevia is a natural sweetener and is safe for diabetics, unlike its chemical sweetener counterparts (Splenda, Aspartame) and other synthetic sweeteners.

Okay, on to my raw food consumption for the day. I can't believe it's Day 20 already! Wow, that sure has gone by fast and I'm tickled that I'm doing so well.

Breakfast: Smoothie of Almond Milk, Banana, Kale, Agave

Mid morning: Large glass of fresh squeezed Grapefruit Juice

Lunch: Smoothie of Kale, Banana, Strawberries, Oranges, Water and scoop of Wheat Grass

Afternoon: Buchwheat bars, Goji Berries, Bottle water

Dinner: Salad

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried stevia this way before. Where did you get the plant?? Did you buy the seeds and grow it yourself. I love it Vicky!
    Terri Jyl ~ XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Teri,
    I found the plant at a Home Depot garden center! I was shocked but curious. I'm pretty sure it's NOT organic but what they heck. I tasted a leaf and was blown over by it's sweetness. So, I brought it home, planted it, and started using leaves in my smoothies. Then, as the end of summer started to approach, I clipped a few branches and hung them to dry. The rest, my dear, is history!! LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete