Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 2 - Double Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies ... Oh my!

Today was a very busy and productive day. I love it when I get lots accomplished.

As for the raw challenge, this is what I consumed today.

Breakfast: Superfood Shake and 1/2 liter alkaline water.
I knew I would need this because my sis and I had a four-mile long trail walk planned and I was going to need the energy! The walk was wonderful with the morning temps at 64° - PERFECT!!

Mid morning: Couple of handfuls of red grapes.

Lunch: Green Smoothie (Kale, 1/4 Pineapple with skin, orange, grapes, distilled water).

Afternoon: Orange, Goji Slice bites, glass of fresh-squeezed Grapefruit juice, Buckwheat bars.

Dinner: Salad (Romaine, Red Cabbage, Carrots, Cukes, Tomatoes, and Sunflower Seeds).
Half an Avocado topped with Pate and chopped Cukes, Red Pepper, Lemon and Soy Sauce.
Cacao Brownie Bites. Distilled water.

Today's challenge: We are volunteering at a charity event tomorrow and I had to pick up some baked goods. I grabbed a few boxes of oatmeal cranberry cookies, double dark chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and peanut butter with chocolate chunk cookies. When I got home, I had to break down the cookies into Ziplock bags for resale tomorrow. *sigh* I tried my best to work subconsciously so as not to pay attention to them. I tried focusing on filling the bags rather than what I was putting into the bags. I will admit, I did eat a crumb of the Double Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie. But, I think I'll survive.

Afterwards, I wanted to make some Energy Flat Bread but totally forgot that I needed to sprout a ton of buckwheat for this recipe, so I have that soaking.

Next, I decided to make some potato chips; unfortunately, we had no potatoes!! That problem was quickly resolved when I ran out to the grocery store and got some ... at 8pm!! lol. Yes, I REALLY want to try raw chips!

I went on a hunt for raw potato chip recipes and found two:

Alissa Cohen's Baby Sea Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips
Slice potatoes (Gold or Red) with mandolin so that they are fairly thin
Soak in Apple Cider Vinegar for about 30 minutes, massage slices before placing on mesh dehydrator sheet.
Sprinkle with sea salt.
Dehydrate overnight or however long they need to get crisp.

The second recipe was from RawFoodTalk forum.

Potato Chip Recipe
• Juice 1 medium juicy or 2 small lemons
• Pour in some olive oil, maybe several tablespoons
• Add about a teaspoon of Himalayan salt.

Whisk together.

The first time you make this, dissolve the salt in a spoonful of water before adding in. That way the dressing can be tasted and adjusted. If it's too lemony add more oil.

Slice 2 baking potatoes with a mandolin or whatever you can use, a veggie peeler works. Place potatoes individually into the bowl of dressing and push them to one side leaving liquid so each gets coated well. They should be as thin as possible without looking like paper. The paper ones will dry to resemble dried leaves. Chips too thick will resemble pita chips.

Important: After all potatoes are coated, if they don't look wilted just use both hands and massage the whole pile together for several minutes. This gets rid of quite a bit of the water and removes a lot of the starch. There will be a thick layer of starch on the bottom of the bowl.

Push the potatoes to the side again. The water will be in the next layer and the oil and juice on top. Take the slices out individually running each one through the floating oil/lemon layer of liquid. This will keep them a good chip color and add even more flavor. Lay on mesh dryer tray.

Dehydrate on 105° until they get crisp – usually overnight.


I decided to try both, so mine are in the dehydrator.

Some are already starting to curl up like chips!!

Can't wait to see how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment