Monday, January 7, 2013

21 Day Juice Fast - Starts TODAY!

Today kicks off my juice fast, or as some call it, Juice Feast!  That actually makes more sense since I'm not fasting from juice, but feasting on it!

For the next 21 days, I will be washing down handfuls of supplements with nothing but fresh juices.  Since I failed to post the update that I promised so long ago, here is a current photo in the event that I disappear.  Considering I'm starting this fast out at 120 pounds, three weeks of strictly juice is sure to diminish my stature.  And let me just say that I'm NOT doing this fast to lose weight because at 5'4" and wearing size 3 jeans, I'm quite content with my current weight.

I'm fasting for two reasons.  First, to detox and heal my body.

A few days after Thanksgiving, my asthma reared up and has been kicking my butt ever since.  When you do not do pharmaceuticals to control or maintain asthma, it can be very tricky, or should I say risky. At this point, I definitely need to detox in order to heal.  I have numerous food allergies and indulging in several wheat laden foods over the holidays was NOT a wise choice on my part.  Oh, but while the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.   I learned a valuable lesson.  Sacrificing BREATHING is not worth corn meal dressing, sweet tater casserole, green bean casserole, or pumpkin pie.  At least NOT when it's prepared the SAD way ... that would be "Standard American Diet" way.  DId you know that most, if not all, diseases originate in the digestive tract?! Yessiree.  Sho enuf does!

Juice fasting has the ability to heal the body, and has been known to reverse food allergies. When we cook food over 116°F, living enzymes are destroyed by the heat, thereby making the food "dead".   When we consume dead food, our body has to expend energy and enzymes to digest the food.  When we drink freshly juiced fruits and veggies, the living enzymes are still present and they feed your cells, thereby healing the body.  Also, since the body has no need to expend energy or enzymes digesting the juice, all energy is directed towards healing the body.  It never ceases to amaze me how our bodies function.

The second reason is spiritual and mental healing which I'll discuss tomorrow. 

There are awesome "rawcipes" as I call them, that make amazingly delicious raw foods that mimic traditional meals.  The only drawback is the preparation time and steps necessary to achieve the final result.  When I have a hankering for a specific raw food, by the time I finish preparation (soaking, sprouting, dehydrating, etc.), my craving has subsided.  I take just a nibble or two, but I'm no longer in the mood for that particular food.  The bulk of the food sits there until I dispose of it.  Then I cry over the wasted $$$.  I just need to determine a way to anticipate my cravings a week in advance!  ha ha ha.

Today I started out with a new recipe called Green Magic that I found on Drew Canole's Juicing Vegetables page on FB. Well, it wasn't very "magical" for me. I took a sip and shuddered. By adding two extra Fuji apples and two very ripe pears, I succeeded in salvaging the juice. Actually, it turned out quite tasty.

Here is the recipe as it was listed on Drew's FB page:


It's worth a try.  You might like it as is.  I just needed some more sweetness to it.

So, off to get my "dinner" which is the modified version of Green Magic.  Doesn't this look delectable?!  Soooo yummy, I can hardly wait to eat have my dinner. 

Yes, I am being facetious, but because of the supplements, not the juice.  I am very excited about the fast and the subsequent benefits.  My last "juice feast" was March 2011 - I feasted the entire month - all 31 days.  I felt FANTASTIC because as a result of this feast, I was emancipated from Advair!

Cheers till tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment