Thursday, March 26, 2009

Awesome Snack - Buckwheatie Bars

Back in February when I sprouted buckwheat for the first time, I made these awesome energy bars from Serene Allison's Rejuvenate Your Life, Recipes for Energy book. She has some of the best recipes ever! Anyway, I stuck them in the freezer and forgot all about them. I came across them yesterday and dang, they are SOOOO yummy that I can't believe they've been in the freezer all this time!! I've GOT to make some more because they are GONE now!!

Here is the recipe:

4 cups of sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat
1 cup raw honey
1/2 - 3/4 cup Tahini
3/4 cup of ground golden flax seeds for binding (I used brown flax seeds)

Add goodies to your heart's content-
- A few handfuls of raisins
- A few handfuls of chopped dates
- A few handfuls of chopped un-sulfured apricots
- A few handfuls of walnuts and/or almonds

You could also add some handfuls of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and whole flax seeds.
Optional - chuck in some Goji berries or pine nuts.

1. Mix all together with a wooden spoon. If too dry and crumbly, add a bit more tahini, honey and flax meal to bind.
2. Press into greased (I used coconut oil) pan and freeze.
3. When frozen, cut into granola sized bars and place in covered container and freeze till ready to eat.

I'm trying to remember what I put in mine, it's been a while! I sat here and dissected one to see if I could recall. It seems all that I put in mine were:

Buckwheat
Honey
Tahini
Flax seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Goji berries
Pine nuts

I don't really enjoy making "meals" but I do like snacks. Lately, I've been having warm lemon water when I wake up, then I'll have a banana for breakfast or grapes or raw oatmeal and a cup of "healthy coffee" or fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. I'll make a green smoothie around mid-morning and snack on sunflower or pumpkins seeds or a raw Prana bar, and for dinner I'll have a salad and bottle of water. I'm trying to drink more water. With the warm temperatures on the horizon, that shouldn't be a problem.

Today's scrumptiously delicious smoothie consisted of:

Handful of Spinach
1 Banana
1/4 Pineapple
Handful of Strawberries
2 TBS Coconut meat
1/2 Avocado
4 Dates
Water

I'm so excited that peaches are showing up at the grocery store. I love peach smoothies!

UPDATED to add: I made a second batch of the Buckwheatie Bars but was out of honey so I substituted pure organic maple syrup and they tasted GREAT! Maple syrup is better than honey because it does not spike your blood sugar level the way honey does.

No comments:

Post a Comment