Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend Pitfalls

My husband and I attended a couples retreat this Friday and Saturday through our church. The lodge restaurant offered a seafood buffet on Friday night and I am proud to announce that I had a salad which consisted of romaine lettuce, a cherry tomato and some mushrooms. All raw... yeeeha!! Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my "raw dressing" so I had to choose from what they had which wasn't much. I chose 1000 Island and no, it's not raw.

Saturday was a different story. I wasn't as successful. They had a breakfast bar and the first thing I spotted was granola and yogurt. So I scooped two spoonfuls of granola into a bowl and grabbed a container of strawberry yogurt. A little further down the bar was fresh pineapple and cantaloupe ... Yummm. I scooped enough to cover two-thirds of my plate, BUT then I added about 2 Tablespoons of scrambled eggs and then about 2 more Tablespoons of home fries!!! OHHH NOOOO!!! It got worse after that. I should never have put cooked food in my mouth because when I got back to the table, I had two peppermint patties and a white chocolate truffle!

Since getting back home Saturday afternoon, I've been 90% raw, but today ... . The 10% of cooked food that I've been eating is really messing with me. For example, today I had Chicken Corn Chowder for lunch ... DAIRY!!! UGH. I tried to make up for that by having a nice big salad with a dressing of flaxseed oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. But hubby went to Zaxby's and brought home chicken tenders for himself and I ate about 10 of his fries! NOT GOOD! I have had a burning sensation in my esophagus ever since. So I ate an orange which settled the heart burn down for a little while. Then I had some dates and walnuts and a bottle of water.

Tomorrow we are going grocery shopping and I can't wait to get a bunch of fruits and veggies. I just got a new book by Frederic Patenaude called Instant Raw Sensations and I'm eager to try out a bunch of the recipes. Also, I found the recipe for Raw Chili that I used to make the first time I went raw. I can't wait to make that - it's SOOOO YUMMMMMY!! I think once I start making up some raw dishes, I'll be good to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment